This is the developing road leading to our new plot of land!
The Path to Joining Our Cohousing Community
We’re so happy you landed on this page!
Step 1 – Contact us: Let us know you are interested or curious!
Contact us through our website, via phone or email. Our Outreach Coordinator or one of our members can answer any questions you might have, and we can invite you to our Friday information sessions on Zoom. Email: GreekVillageCohousing@gmail.com. Phone & WhatsApp: 011.434.962.7801
After attending an information session, you may wish to visit one or two of our meetings to see if you would like to explore further, and we may wish to invite you to become an explorer member because it feels like a good fit. During your visit, you could meet the whole group, see us in action, and learn more about what we are up to that week.
Step 2 – Join as an Explorer: Get to know us and get seniority for unit selection!
Those who have visited one or two meetings may want to continue exploring, and you can then officially join us as an explorer member.
As an explorer member, you can get to know us, and you will participate to helping to shape our village. Explorer members have access to all information and are an integral part of all Sunday Plenary meetings. For those who have time, the most successful explorers lean in and participate in working circles and projects, educating themselves about cohousing, making friends, and co-creating. Not only do explorers contribute to the community, but they express their preferences during member consensus votes on design and policy.
The date you became an explorer member is your priority number and provides you a spot in line for home selection. Explorer status is for 3 months, and there are limited opportunities to renew via request for a month or two in the case of those who very serious and taking active steps to visit the location, contribute to projects and community work, and educate themselves about cohousing. Those who are serious now also have the opportunity to become a full community member with full consensus voting rights.
Explorers pay a non-refundable fee of €200 ($240 USD) which is used to pay for member professional services such as legal fees. As an Explorer for 3 months, you’ll be connected with a mentor within the community to help guide you, and you will receive an orientation giving you transparent access to all project materials, including business plan, budget, and timeline.
Find the explorer application here. Pay your €200 ($240 USD) dues here:
Step 3 – Join as a Full Equity Member:
Reserve your unit of choice!
Equity members are those who have decided to purchase a home in Greek Village Cohousing community. They are finished exploring and want to ensure they get a home in our village and shape the community. Explorer members have full equity votes as opposed to preferences expressed by explorers.
An Explorer member who wants to advance to Equity membership will have attended at the very least three Plenary meetings, participated in a circle working group and collaborated with other, will be aware of the risks and benefits involved, and will be conversant with cohousing an Greek Village Cohousing values, policies, and practices. Those ready to become Equity members will reach out to Pare with their interest and will begin the eligibility process where we perform vetting such as a pedophile registry search.
After speaking with Pare and going through the eligibility process, please complete the eligibility pre-requisites listed in the Equity Membership policy and complete the form below and in this link:
Greek Village Cohousing Equity Membership Agreement
In consideration for membership in Greek Village Cohousing, LLC and Home Owners Association, I/we acknowledge that we have reviewed the information in the Equity Membership Policy, understand the risks involved and:
1. I/we are in support of the Mission, and Vision and Values of Greek Village Cohousing. I/we are looking to become fully participating members of the community.
2. I/we understand that that the purpose of GVC LLC is to organize a group of people committed to creating a multigenerational cohousing community in Greece. I/we understand that no land or real estate is being offered by Greek Village Cohousing.
3. I/we agree to contract with the chosen GVC developer for purchase of a unit and percentage of commons in our community.
4. I/we will make advance deposits as called for by the group, which will be used to pay for the costs of developing the project and will be credited toward the down payment and purchase price on my/our unit and commons contribution.
5. I/we understand that any payment made is not an investment from which I/we expect to realize a monetary gain/profit at a later date. If the project is not successfully completed, funds paid into the project may be lost. ________. (please initial)
6. I/we understand there are no guarantees or warranties as to the project’s timing, cost of development or units, design and size of units, availability of financing, or any other contingencies in this project. ________ (please initial).
7. I/we will meet/have met with the Legal and Membership Circle to review the terms of Equity membership and policy and my/our readiness and eligibility.
8. I/we understand that GVC LLC, GVC Homeowner’s Association, and all GVC members are not liable for breach of the developer contract nor liable for any financial or other loss associated with this breach. ______________. (please initial)
9. I/we will abide by all past as well as future community policy decisions and Homeowners Articles.
10. I/we plan to: share community meals several times a week, contribute to the affinity based community works program, and participate in governance and management.
11. I/we will take part in the “Introduction to Sociocracy” workshops as well as future continuing ed. workshops on relevant topics.
12. I/we agree to abide by the GVC rental policy as well as policy procedures for selling our unit.
I/we understand that GVC resale procedures involve priority community and waitlist offer, as well as prospective buyer education about benefits and responsibilities of cohousing.
I/we understand GVC rental policy prohibits short term rentals except in very limited circumstances.
I/we have requested an exception if our intention for the use of our property violates GVC policy decisions.
13. If I/we are not currently EU citizens, I/we agree to obtain permanent residency or citizenship in Greece and/or to notify membership of our intent to purchase one of the very limited amount of designated part-time residences.
14. I/we are interested Unit Type(s) _______ bedroom(s) . We understand this is not a final selection and that the design of the unit types is to be determined.
Submit Agreement by signing, scanning as PDF, and emailing to GreekVillageCohousing.com.
Please note membership is contingent on: criminal background and pedophile registry check, financial eligibility check, and Equity member consensus.